Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Houston Baptist University's MFA program

I realized that I have not spoken about my experience as a grad student in the Master of Fine Arts program at Houston Baptist University yet. I think this program is wonderful and more MFA candidates should know about it.

This school was not my first choice. It was actually one of my last choices when I was applying for graduate schools. I had originally intended to study in California after I graduated with my BFA from the University of Houston. But I made the decision to stay in Houston because I did not want to be away from my then fiancé (now hubby). He was still going to school in Houston and I did not want to uproot him in the middle of his studies to be with me. When I was searching for graduate programs in Houston, my friend Mai told me about HBU's art program and its art director Michael Collins. She sang his praises and suggested I look on their website to see if they offered an MFA. So I went and looked. They did! It was a very small program, and super new so not many people were aware it even existed. I was impressed when I read Michael's biography and credentials, so I shot him an email with some images of my paintings, asking for his critique. He replied promptly and seemed to adore my work. He even set up a meeting with me right away! Unfortunately I was not able to find a time to meet with him before I applied, so I just sent in my application, hoping for the best.

In April 2012 I received a call from Michael telling me that I'd been accepted into their MFA program for the fall. He was so warm, welcoming, and caring, just over the phone! It was unlike any other school I had been accepted to. I did not receive a personal call from any of the faculty at the other schools. They just sent me a very generic letter saying Congrats, you got in. Yay, now make sure you pay up before you get here! If not, oh well we'll give your spot to someone else on the waiting list. So very dull and mechanic.

Michael invited me to meet with him and his colleague Jim Edwards (who is the curator of the HBU art gallery and graduate professor of drawing) later that week to tour the art facility and select my studio space. When I met them for the first time it was like being welcomed into the arms of two big cuddly teddy bears. Michael and Jim were so warm and gracious. They wanted me here and they would do anything to help me feel at home. Their two different energies played well off each. Michael is like a lovable rabid squirrel whose mind is always going 100 miles an hour and it's awesome. His energy is over the top and gets you super excited and pumped for art and creating. You can feel and see Michael's love for art and teaching radiating from his entire being. Jim is a kind, sweet gentle Santa Claus. He is just so lovable and laid back. One of the things I adore about Jim is that he always wear cute Hawaiian shirts, haha! Jim is from San Francisco and he is sooooo California :)

I love the diversity within my graduate program. Every student has their own unique point of view, and the faculty does not try to mold your view into theirs. Instead, they help you with YOUR point of view to create a strong, personal body of work. Michael and Jim will guide, nurture, and expand upon your unique vision. They love what each student has to offer and have never put anyone down for wanting to experiment or take a different path. That is why I love the faculty here. They understand you, care about you, and want the best for you. It is an extremely stress free environment.

At UH, I struggled with my first two semesters of BFA because I had two professors who did not understand my vision. Nor did they want to understand it. It was all about what they wanted me to be. My art was too illustrative and fanciful for their idea of what fine art should be.

Here at HBU I have the freedom to create what I want: my vision, my hopes, my fantasies, my obsessions. I can paint as many fantastical worlds, girls with sparkling eyes, and beautiful dresses as I want. We have a very diverse group of sculptors, painters, ceramicists, printmakers, and woodworkers.

As for Teaching duties, in this program we are not required to teach undergraduate art classes like other schools. All we have to do is TA a class or two. Right now I am TA'ing "Water Media" for Esther Delaquis and I love it. Esther is so nice and gentle. I think all of the faculty here are wonderful and really care about each one of their students. It is fun to be able to use my knowledge and skills to help guide the young students. I really enjoy helping others learn to paint and improve on what they already know. I hope to be able to have my own art classes to teach one day.

Esther doing a self-portrait demonstration for the class.






HBU has two art galleries. Jim Edwards is the director of the Contemporary Art Gallery and Laura Kreft is the director of the Fine Arts Museum. Both are very nice spaces that feature very talented artists. There are always new exhibits being shown at the Contemporary gallery. I love Laura so much! She is always so sweet and friendly and super excited about everything. She often peaks into my studio and always tries to show my work to other people who come by the school for a visit.

My studio









Ross's studio 



Mack's studio



TK Ahn's studio


Deandra and Lakita's studio




It's been a blast and I have no regrets. I'm currently obsessed with Japanese art and mythology, so that is the direction my paintings are going toward this year.

HBU was not my first choice, but I am so happy it's my final choice. I made the right decision to go here. It's been the most rewarding and nurturing experience I have had in art school. If you are looking for a wonderful MFA program, HBU is a great choice. HBU's MFA program really is a hidden gem. The advice I would give to any artist is to be yourself and paint what you are passionate about. Do not try to create work to please someone else. That is the only way you can make truly honest and profound work.

No comments:

Post a Comment